What Is Your Very First Memory?

Friday, October 9, 2009


According to researchers, the average age for first memories (or the ending of childhood amnesia, as some scientist call it) is between 3 1/2 years and 4.


WHAT'S YOUR VERY FIRST MEMORY AND HOW OLD ARE YOU?

My Answer:

Thinking as far back as I can, my first memory occurs just shortly before I turned three.

I am sitting on my tricycle in the front yard of my childhood home. There is a big black and white "worm" on the ground in front of me. I am screaming. I can recall my (much younger) father running toward me and my very pregnant mother (with my brother who was born 2 days after my 3rd birthday) waddling quickly behind him.

Many years later, I learned that the "worm" was actually a snake. It was only about 3 inches long and was green.

So while I have a younger-than-average memory, it contains several inaccuracies.

Kimmie

6 chatted about this topic:

Charlotte (Life's a Charm!) October 9, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

I don't exactly know how old I was but the memory where I and my sister was youngest (2-years younger than me) in all my memories, I could remember so vividly being with my sister, my mother was scolding us, while my father was trying to cheer everyone up.

I have memories with a snake too, but I was a little older. I remember I was about to step on a snake and my mother freaked out!

Auntie E October 9, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

I have no idea what the first is.

Liz Mays October 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

I was about 3 and I was caught climbing on the counter by my mom.

Sues2u2 October 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM  

I remember being afraid to stay the day @ a friends house while my parent's were gone (maybe 2 1/2 - 3) so my mom had me take over some milk that the milkman had delivered that morning.

Joyful October 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

I can remember me running down the sidewalk after my Dad. He `took` my tricycle away from me and he was actually riding it. Oh, did I mention as I was running I was crying and yelling out to him to bring my tricycle back. LOL
Joyful

Amy October 9, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

I vaguely remember the day my brother was born. I was 2 1/2 when that happened. The only part I remember was being at the babysitter's house and her showing me out her window Mt. St. Helene's exploding. As a child that didn't seem odd at all. lol

But what I DO remember clearly was being 3, and "helping" my dad make chocolate chip cookies. Our counter space looked over into the living room, and I remember my mom being in there nursing my brother. It always gives me warm feelings when I think about it.

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP