Your Thoughts On Pregnancy and STD Testing In Schools

Friday, July 31, 2009

Beginning this fall, schools (elementary, middle and high schools) in Port Chester, New York will be administering pregnancy and STD testing to requesting students.

If the child tests positive, s/he will be referred to a nearby off-campus medical clinic.

The policy was put into place by Port Chester school officials after realizing that 19 of 525 (roughly 4%) high school girls were pregnant or parenting in 2008.

Parental notification is not required prior to testing. However, the board did election to require notification of parents before pap smears or the dispensation of the "morning after pill" although New York state law does not require such disclosure for a minor.

My question for you this week:

Do you agree or disagree with this new policy by the Port Chester school board?

My Answer:

I do not agree with any legislation (federal, state, or local) that permits a kindergartner to be tested for such serious matters as pregnancy and STDs.

Quite frankly, if you have a child in elementary that needs testing for these potential "ailments," you've got bigger problems than for what they are testing.

Some have argued it is a good thing because children are afraid to approach their parents on these subjects. Well, in my opinion, when children did have to go to their parents because they were pregnant or needed to be treated for an STD, there was a lot less of it going on.

So maybe the government should butt out of raising our children for us, because all of their "efforts" to decrease is only resulting in drastic increases.

Maybe letting parents be responsible for their children would be a nice "change."
Kimmie

9 chatted about this topic:

Jenn@ The Crazies July 31, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

I totally agree with you!! My daughter is 14 and on the pill for medical reasons.. she has severe menstrual cramping BUT we have talked and do talk with her at length about the seriousness of sex and that her being on the pill is NOT to be considered a form of birth control and to keep her safe from disease. I trust that I have done well talking to her and educating her but she and I have a great relationship and she talkes to me about everything.

Shana Putnam July 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

OK, you already kno wthat I so agree with you on this. When are they going to make these dang parents be parent so this crap quits happening?!? Elementary school for goodness sake. This is ridiculous. Don't get me started on the morning after pill.

Liz Mays July 31, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

Have parents COMPLETELY lost touch with their children that this would be necessary?

Jeremy July 31, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

Wow, this is crazy! Just another example of parental rights being taken away. I would want to know if test are happening on my children at school no matter what the age. I would not allow my kids to attend if this were the policy.

Becca July 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

I think this is a bit extreme but we also have to remember not everyone can go to their parents.

Anonymous,  July 31, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

This should totally be left to the parents and I think the majority of parents today do a fantastic job. Schools are only responsible for educating children with reading math and science, history, writing. Leave the rest to the parents.

Stacie July 31, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

I don't agree with this at all. Your right if elementary kids are having sex then you got bigger problems. I think parents should be notified. This is ridiculous then it's saying to the kids it's ok to have sex. Ughh...

kailani July 31, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

Wow, I didn't know schools could do this. It seems like it should be a family matter, not something dealt with by the schools.

AudreyO August 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

I think I'm in the minority here. There are many things available to kids of all ages, some legal some not. As parents we show through example and through actions what our moral and ethical expectations are.

There are free clinics all over the place. Kids can go there, get birth control, have pap smears and get abortions all without parents knowing. All they're doing is moving it to the schools.

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP