Does Your Personality Match Your Birth Order Traits?

Friday, April 24, 2009

Kailani over at An Island Life has put together a wonderful meme called Aloha Friday. If you'd like to learn more and/or join in, be sure to visit An Island Life!

My Topic for Today:

According to many studies, the personalities (will have most traits, not necessarily all) of children by their birth order are as follows:

  • Older children are people pleasers, crave attention, cooperative, conscientious, caregivers, controlling, perfectionists, and leaders.

  • Middle children are loners, impatient, competitive, flexible, diplomatic, and rebellious.

  • Younger children are immature, attention seekers, secretive, sensitive, risk takers, and idealists.

But...as we all know, not everyone can fit into these categories. After all, you have multiples and only children too.

The traits for these categories can be:

  • Twins (or other multiples) will, as a general rule, have one (or more) leader and one (or more) follower. Leaders resemble the role of first borns while the followers exhibit traits of a middle child. (In cases of 4 or more multiples, traits of the youngest child birth order will also be exhibited by one or more.)

  • Only children typically show traits that divided among the oldest and youngest child birth orders; specifically, their traits include perfectionists, attention seekers, responsible, and more mature than peers.


So my question for this week is:

Taking into consideration the traits described here, do you think your personality fits your birth order?



My Answer:

I am an oldest child (family of 2 children). I would say that the profile for oldest children does apply. I am a leader, conscientious, (can be) controlling, and a caregiver (who couldn't be with 4 children, right? lol)

On the other hand, I do not worry about pleasing people, being perfect, and I hate being in the limelight.


Thanks for stopping by today and playing along! I can't wait to read your answers!

19 chatted about this topic:

Tara April 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM  

I am number 3 out of 8 kids.. hmmm.. I guess the middle child sort of describes me... hard though in a big family..because you tend to adapt to alot of different traits. I think.. anyway lol

simply_unique April 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

You Know I agree with this not only with me but I have noticed this with my own kids. I am the middle child *cries* lol

A Psych Mommy April 24, 2009 at 12:50 AM  

I'm a twin, and that sounds about right, and it totally is on with my husband and his younger brother!

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy April 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM  

I am an only and that describes me perfectly.

Heather April 24, 2009 at 1:11 AM  

I am the ULTIMATE oldest child! :-) Fits perfectly.

Nabeel April 24, 2009 at 1:44 AM  

I'm one of the middle children and my traits are exactly as you have written. Wow

janetfaye April 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM  

I am number 7 out of 10 kids so I don't know. I think oldest child describes me somewhat.

Angie April 24, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

I'm the youngest of 2. I guess I have my moments of being immature. I don't seek attention. I'm secretly sensitive, definitely not a risk taker and not idealist.

Brittany April 24, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

I'm the youngest of 3 and I do not think that fits at all... or maybe I'm fooling myself.. I do get mistaken for the oldest all the time..

Kim April 24, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

This doesn't fit me at all. I'm a middle child.....3rd of 4, and the description for the youngest seems to fit me more.

Beth @ TheAngelForever April 24, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

I am the oldest of two. My personality is very much like the things say. I am a perfectionist by nature and always aim to please. Quite the Type A personality.

I am Harriet April 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

I'm a youngest child and I have read some similar things about it. I do fit the description to some degree.

Serendipityissweet April 24, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

Yes, it fits for me as a middle child. But, I don't think if fits my oldest son. Interesting though.

Carol April 24, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

I am 2nd out of 5 - perhaps I should have been born first, those traits seem to match me more!

Although, in my own children I would completely agree with what you've outlined!

Weird!

Michelle @Flying Giggles April 24, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

I don't think that profile fits me expect the risk taking. I am the youngest of three. My oldest brother is 10 years older than me and 7 years older than my middle brother. I am not sure if the age difference somehow impacts the birth order traits.

annies home April 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

yes I believe it does I am the oldest and I am always the one trying to help others

Upstatemamma April 24, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

I am the oldest. I have a brother by mom - eight years younger - and a brother and sister by my dad - thirteen years younger and I would say I fall into both the oldest category and the only child category. They both sort of fit me.

PMKU April 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

I'm going to say that a mix of the youngest child and only child would be pretty accurate.

My siblings are 6 and 7 years older and they are boys and I am a girl so...

Michelle J April 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

I am the youngest and would say I am secretive and a risk taker!

ahappyhippymom.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP