Bad Habits Always Begin As Fun (A Thousand Words Thursday)

Thursday, April 16, 2009


Baby boy number 3 was a 31 week preemie, so sometimes even what would seem most trivial to some parents was a big deal to us.

This was the third time he had managed to get his thumb in his mouth. He had worked so hard trying to gain control of his hands so that he could suck his thumb - so this was a big accomplishment!

Now, it's four years later and he's still sucking his thumb. Except it's not so cute anymore!

We've tried everything it seems to stop this horrible habit with no luck. Any suggestions?




Cheaper Than Therapy

11 chatted about this topic:

Unknown April 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

I never had a thumb sucker, so I have no tips for you, sorry! I know just what you mean about it being cute when they're little and not so cute when they get bigger... Good luck!

Jennifer April 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

No advice (I didn't have thumb suckers either), but I SO want to pinch those cheeks! How adorable!!

the mom April 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

sorry to words of wisdom for you....thanks for stopping by my blog!
He's ADORABLE by the way.

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor April 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Great picture. I am sorry to say that my little man is a 5yr old kindie and he still sucks his thumb. I feel your frustration. We have tried everything. Even the kids in class giving him grief did not work. Our doctor & dentist told us it is a matter of him wanting to quit. Good luck.

Faith April 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Neither of my kids were thumb suckers so I don't have any suggestions .. but what a cute pic .. I love babies!!

I am Harriet April 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

I had a thumb sucker. Braces are in your future :)

Martha April 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

What a gorgeous baby. Happy ATWT.

Staci A April 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

Maybe find some other source of comfort? I'm not sure though what you could offer to replace the thumb sucking. Best of luck & adorable photo!

Kelly April 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

I don't know anything about thumbsucking, but he's so cute!

Ladybird April 16, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

I don't have any advice...sorry. My little guy is only 7 months and he never found his thumb. I have heard to put soap under their fingernails, but I am sure that you have already tried that. Happy ATWT!

Sarah April 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

If you get some good advice, pass it along. I don't have a thumb sucker, but one of my 7 month olds sucks on her index and middle finger constantly. It's cute now but I'm sure it won't be later.

He sure is cute in that photo!

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP