Where Were You On September 11, 2001?

Friday, September 11, 2009





Please take time today to remember the victims of the worst attack to ever occur on American soil: September 11, 2001.

And remember those victims still bearing the grief today of losing a loved one.

Most of all REMEMBER.

My Question:

Where were you on the morning of September 11, 2001 when you heard the news that America was under a terrorist attack?

My Answer:

Even 8 years later, it's difficult to remember that day without crying.

I had only been at work for a short while when friends from a nearby law office called to ask if I had turned on my television. When I responded that I hadn't, I was told that a plane had hit the World Trade Center and asked to see what the news reports were saying.

At this time, there was no indication that this was anything other than a horrendous accident.

Not long after turning on the television, I witnessed live as the second plane flew into the second tower of the WTC.

Even in my small town, hundreds of miles from New York, it seemed that mass confusion ensued as people began exiting their businesses looking for confirmation that what they had just seen on television or heard on the radio was real.

I will never forget how, in that one day, everything seemed to come to a grinding halt. Everyone gathered together to watch the news reports; hoping somehow that it was all wrong. Only later to watch as reports came in about the Pentagon and United Flight 93 in Pennsylvania.

I remember being sickened as the towers crumbled; knowing the fate of those who remained inside.

I will forever carry images of fireman and police officers who ran toward danger to save the lives of people who they had never even met - many to forever leave behind wives, husbands and children.

I will always admire those who I knew personally, and those I didn't, who - without a second thought of their own safety - headed north to render aid in any way they could.

I will always hold in the highest regard the men and women who fight the war in Iraq - to ensure our safety against such evilness - despite the callousness of many Americans who now claim that we are fighting a rich man's war; a war about oil.

Because they have forgotten.

But I will never forget.

Kimmie


Find More Aloha Friday at An Island Life


10 chatted about this topic:

Jennifer Juniper September 11, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

I will never forget that day too, and still could cry thinking about it. I was a stay at home mom of two boys, one was just an infant. I never turned on "adult TV" back then, but for some reason had on the Today show while we cleaned the playroom together. I was crying and making calls and in utter disbelief. I feel like crying just watching this.

Momma@Live. Laugh. Pull your hair out September 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

Youre right! Our AF is identical....but yours is much better!

I will never forget........

I am Harriet September 11, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

I was volunteering in the copy room at my son's school. I remember going to TJMaxx afterwards and everyone was saying how the mall was closing early.

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/09/is-it-lucky-or-miraculous.html

Jennifer September 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

Again, I had dropped my children off at school and entered Wal-mart when the first uncertain report came in. I drove home and watched the news.

East Coast Wahine September 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

I was an engineer on my way to work that morning when I heard the news on the radio that a plane flew into the WTC. Immediately I thought it was a terrorist attack as all cities are a "no fly zone". When I got to work, our entire company watched in horror as the day unfolded. From there is was downhill. From that day on the company started laying off people and sent all their products to be manufactured overseas. They are no longer in business. Till today I am still in disbelief....

Unknown September 11, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

I posted a "where were you". I will never forget. Every time I hear Alan Jackson's song "Where were you when the world stopped turning.." I cry.

AudreyO September 11, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

I was at home getting ready for work. I skipped work, kept the kids home from school and sat glued to the t.v. all day.

Stefany September 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

I was at school. I posted about this today... amazing the memories we keep when something so horrible happens.

Kristi in Oklahoma,  September 11, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

I was at my office and our receptionist came in and told me. We were all watching in disbelief on an office TV. I had a 10 a.m. appt to inspect a clients house. When I got to her house I asked her if she had heard and remember her suprise becuase she hadn't heard a thing about it yet. I spent the rest of the day trying to contact a friend who was a Navy Cpt at the time stationed in the Pentagon. I got his voice mail up until mid afternoon. After that only busy, disconnected sounds. It took over a week to make contact with him. Fortunately he was TDY in Nevada but had a terrible time getting back home because of all transportation being halted. FYI...his office was later pictured in many photos on magazine covers....it was his computer monitor sitting on a file cabinet just inside the gaping hole left in the Pentagon. I'll never forget that day and the many terrible that followed.

Becca September 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

I was asleep in my dorm room and initially got mad at my mom for waking me. Then I got over it and was pretty freaked out!

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP