Share Your Thoughts On A Fat Tax

Friday, August 7, 2009

In 2008, Alabama instituted what some refer to as a "fat tax."

State employees who peruse the insurance plans available to them will be required to undergo medical screenings. Those who have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high glucose will have to pay $25 a month more in health insurance beginning in January 2011, if they don't take steps to address their health problems.

And it's not just Alabama looking to take steps to rid their residents of their love handles.

New York, since last year, has been tossing the idea around of a similar tax - sometimes referred to as a "Twinkie Tax" - that would place tax penalties on items such as non-diet soft drinks.

Now that the hot topic of Universal Health Care is on the table, many believe that a "fat tax" will be one of the first means of paying for the program.


WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON STATE OR FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS IMPOSING FAT TAXES ON THEIR CITIZENS?

On the surface, this seems like a good idea considering that 72 million (1/3) adults in the U.S. are now overweight or obese; add to that the 32% of American children who are overweight.

Upon learning of the possibilities of fat taxes becoming a nationwide mandate, I took time to seriously contemplate the pros and the cons.

Overall, however, I see a major problem: one more way the government is telling us how we should live.

What it really boils down to is this: American's are willing to take responsibility for their health, so the government wants to jump in with a health plan. In turn for your free (said tongue in cheek) healthcare they control your diet; or, at the very least, make you pay extra for your goodies.

I personally think that Americans need a little lesson in tough love - meaning the government can butt out. If we can't control ourselves from eating all the unhealthy stuff out there, then let the thinning of the herd begin!

Let us fend for ourselves for a while and maybe common sense will make a comeback.

And if not, oh well....

I have my diet well under control considering my scare with gestational diabetes; but about once every three months, I allow myself a sweet little treat. And, quite frankly, I'm not to keen as paying a tax on that goody that serves the same as a governmental slap on my hand.

Besides, has anyone noticed that the arrogant men and women looking to punish the "bad people" have innertubes around their wastes and vienna sausage fingers?

Ha! How about we give this idea a test run on them first and see if actually works? I'll go ahead and put my money down on a BIG FAT ~FAIL~!

Kimmie

13 chatted about this topic:

I am Harriet August 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

On one had it pays for things and on the other hand, if you tax 'fat' people then you have to tax everyone else with something different.

Have a great Friday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/08/john-hughes-dead-at-59-aloha.html

Shana Putnam August 7, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Well, as you know I am in total agreement with you. I have a problem with this as I am overweight. I have PCOS and have tried everything to lose weight and I do mean everything. I have sugar issues because of the PCOS and narrowly avoided gestational diabetes because of it. When I met my hubby I weighed a wonderful 120 lbs. I came off birth control pills and ballooned to more than two times that and it doesn't budge. I drink diet drinks so maybe they will leave me alone...lol.

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique August 7, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

California is a great example of a state with BIG taxes - especially on the retired military - we know lots of them who are planning to leave there as soon as possible because it is too expensive when they retire!

Jeremy August 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

It's ridiculous. Apparently we don't give the government enough money so they have to think of creative ways to get more.

Jennifer August 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

It all sounds rather complicated. My husband, he has to take a triglyceride medicine, yet is not even overweight. So should he be taxed due to bad genetics? Where does one draw the line between healthy and unhealthy? There are healthy "fat" people and extremely unhealthy "thin" people. This is a very dangerous path and I hope it is not pursued.

Liz Mays August 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

Wow, that's coming perilously close to infringing on personal freedom.

sues2u2 August 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

Amazing how Big Brother can creep in & find new & exciting ways to "help" us.

I am vehemently against a national insurance. I do however think that insurance costs need to come down. When they find the answer to that one I think the govt will be more on the right track. Check out some countries that have national insurance if you think this might be a good idea. But ya gotta really look @ how the people live too. It might be a bit of an eye opener.

Anonymous,  August 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

Nope, nope, nope. I was underweight for a long time and I didn't get a discount on anything! (Sorry...my attempt at humor.) I can understand the government creating laws that are meant to protect us - wearing seatbelts, for instance - or inform us so we can protect ourselves - like nutrition information. But punishing citizens the government decides are "fat"? No way. And I am Harriet brings up a great point: we'd end up with so many distinctions for taxing people. Surely that's some kind of discrimination.

Brandi August 7, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

I think it's crazy...I think that paying tax because you are overweight is insane, just like being taxed for being too thin would be!

Becca August 7, 2009 at 5:52 PM  

I feel like we are headed down a path of being taxed for everything and I don't like it!

Beth @ TheAngelForever August 7, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

Oy! That is about all I can say. As an adult I am so sic of the word taxes.

AudreyO August 7, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

I am so tired of the government wanting to interfere in everything I do. If I choose to be fat, that should be my choice. If I choose to be thin, that too should be my choice.

Sooo...I'd love to lose 10 pounds...that's all I want to lose but it's my choice!!!!!

kailani August 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

I don't know . . . I would think it would be a form of discrimination.

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP