13 Ways I Pinch My Pennies

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a penchant for pinching my pennies until Lincoln screams - or so I've been told repeatedly by close family and friends.

Irregardless of what they believe, I do not have being cheap down to a science...yet!

But here are some ways that I am a real cheapskate (even though, personally, I don't see it that way):

  1. I save all the condiments I get from fast food restaurants for use with meals I've cooked at home.

  2. I save all the extra napkins and/or utensil packets from fast food dining.

  3. I only use cold water to wash clothes. There has to be a special reason to use hot water.

  4. It's been a while since we've purchased a piece of furniture for our house. My mother and her sisters have very nice things, and they like to change frequently. If I wait long enough, I'll get some nice furniture given to me.

  5. I grocery shop only once a month to avoid temptations of being in the store too frequently. (Ok, this isn't so much based on cheap as it is that I hate grocery shopping...lol)

  6. Although I don't practice this as much anymore as I should - especially when we're hearing so much about "going green": no use of artificial lights during the day, instead relying on natural light.

  7. I try to avoid, at all costs, purchasing brand new clothing for my two youngest. At 4 years old and 7 months, they go so quickly that you never get your money's worth. Instead I shop consignment and yard sales as well as thrift stores such as Goodwill.

  8. All year I use grocery promotions (ie, those found on cereal boxes) to accumulate small gifts (for free or a very small fee) that I use as stocking stuffers - for the age appropriate kids - at Christmas.

  9. The children's movies that we want to purchase (and we only purchase children's movies because they can watch them over and over and over....), I only buy used: either a previous rental from the video store or on eBay. I've never purchased a brand new one.

  10. When free samples are offered - of products I know we will use, or at least consider using - I take them. I have a nice stash going on of trial size shampoos, hair sprays, deodorants, laundry detergent, that are great for sending with children to summer camp, on vacation, and other times when the "big sizes" aren't necessary.

  11. I always collect the shampoo, lotion, soap, etc. from hotels when we travel.

  12. Speaking of travel, I always avoid using the middle man when planning a vacation. I call the hotel direct and negotiate a rate and purchase park/event/show tickets direct. (I refuse to fly, so I have no tips for airfare.)

  13. Now that our local Walgreens has made it so easy to refill ink cartridges, I never buy new ones - well, at least until the crtridge has so much wear I have no choice, but that day hasn't arrived yet.


Find more interesting lists at Thursday 13!


Kimmie

7 chatted about this topic:

Hootin Anni August 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM  

Great ideas!!! I've been thinking of getting a skylight in our hallway bathroom. There is NO window, and if I had a skylight put in, we wouldn't have to BURN light.

My Thursday 13 is now posted...I feel the need for speed!!! You're invited to join me if you'd like! See ya at my place!! Have a great day.

Betty August 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM  

I think you're being very practical! I'm gonna start using some of your tips myself too! =) Thanks for sharing them!

Mia Celeste August 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Vi (pronounced Vy) August 20, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

i TOTALLY do #1 & #2. on your list, ahem. i wasn't sharing my bathroom history with you! lol.

she
www.shebecameabutterfly.net

Shana Putnam August 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

I do all of these and am a stickler about the lights. Another way is for people to use clotheslines in the summer and whenever it is warm enough. You can still fluff in the dryer is you want to and it will save you a ton on your electricity bill.

Alice Audrey August 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

I do a lot of this, and think I'll adopt a couple. Penny Pinchers Unite!

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP