This Mom Blog Goes Political About Universal Health Care

Friday, July 17, 2009

I know what many have said: Mom blogs shouldn't be political.

I've never really understood the reasoning behind that thought.

Just because I'm a mother and I blog mostly about "Mom things", doesn't mean I don't have opinions on current political issues.

So I'm going to cross that line today and go a bit political on a topic that has many people talking these days: Universal Health Care in the U.s.

To be frank about it, I'm against a universal health care system.

While it is sad that there are many who cannot afford health care, I'm so happy to live in a country where at least good excellent care can be found.

I don't care where you go in the world, money does talk. Even in Canada, the very basis of argument for a universal health care system in the United States, offers private clinics where you can avoid excessive waits - up to 2 or 3 years just to get a family doctor! - if you can afford to pay for it out-of-pocket.

I've known several people who have become very ill and had an inability to pay high medical costs. In those cases, the community came together -as most will do - and held fundraisers to help those in need.

And because of a competitive medical society, where cash fuels awesome care, those people were able to get effective treatment quickly.

My sister-in-law was one of those people. Suffering from severe Type I diabetes, she was in desperate need of a pancreas transplant. With the aid of fundraisers, she was able have a successful surgery in a relatively short amount of time.

If she had lived in a country with a universal health care system, chances are she would still be waiting - if she was still alive to wait.

My Question To You:

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON A UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IN THE UNITED STATES?

And, if you have a few minutes, watch this video on the truth about the Canadian health care system:




Kimmie

7 chatted about this topic:

Beth @ TheAngelForever July 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

I think speaking your mind on your own blog is fine, political or not - so kuddos to you. I have to admit that I am not a huge fan if it will increase the cost of plans for those w/insurance (like me), but am open to hear more about the specifics.

Serendipityissweet July 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

I give it a huge thumbs down. Don't like it. Don't want it. I think we need to open insurance across state lines.

Robin July 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

I am against universal government run health care. We already have two prime examples of government run health care already in use and they are a bust. Look at Medicare and Tricare. Both are government run. I am a Military wife and Nurse with personal experience on both sides of the bed with these government run health care. I already have to wait a month at a time for some specialty appointments with a universal health care I would have longer waits.
Universal Health Care is not the answer...I wish I had one..because I do want everyone to get the care they deserve but not at the cost to others.
Moms vote and have opinions too so going political is not bad we need to share our opinions and express our ideas because this is also how we educate others and become educated. By keeping open minds we see and learn many things from those around us.
Thanks for the thoughts this morning and sorry for the long post ;o)
hugs,
Robin
http://sweet-little-memories1.blogspot.com/

Anonymous,  July 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

I'm a political junkie as well and have my own dedicated political blog www.proper-role-of-government.blogspot.com as well as my mom blog.

Anything prefaced with "government run" just smacks of loss of freedom, out of control costs, inefficency, corruption, inequality of access and more atrocities. There are only a couple of things the government does better than the private sector, they are policing, courts, and military, all areas realating directly to force . . . no coincidence.

We've been people without health insurance and I still say, no, to universal health care.

sues2u2 July 17, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

We pretty much have universal health insurance since Hubby is retired AF but it really stinks. I dislike the limitations & I don't recommend it. There needs to be an alternative but universal isn't it.

Angela @ Nine More Months July 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

I think a more regulated health care system is a good idea. (regulated as in to bring the high costs down if possible.) But I don't think universal is the answer.

My Aloha Friday :)

Becca July 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

I see the pros and the cons. I wish there was a good answer that everyone liked!!!

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP