Randomly Thinking About Back To School

Tuesday, July 28, 2009


I can't believe it's almost back to school time.

At the beginning of summer, I was counting down the days until they returned. Because, you know, children are always riled up when school first lets out.

But now that they'll be returning in just a couple of weeks, suddenly I'm thinking about having to get up early, fix breakfast, homework in the evenings, and bedtime routines.

Ugh!

And then let's talk about that school supply list.

Fortunately, the middle school my second child attends has finally decided to be reasonable with supply lists.

In years past, I had to wonder, "What the heck?!" as I was requested (we all know it's not a request and if you don't buy it, your child will be singled out) to purchase things like toilet paper, light bulbs, copy paper - yadda, yadda, yadda.

Um, I'm pretty sure I've been paying a $50/year wheel tax for the past 19 years plus property taxes and local sales tax; all of which, supposedly, goes to the schools. Not to mention that schools receive state and federal funds.

So why do you want me to buy this fluff?

As far as I'm concerned, I want to opt out of buying "the extras." Here's why:

  1. My kid refuses to "go" at school, if you know what I mean, and instead saves it up all day so that he can turn our bathroom into a toxic dumping ground. Being a boy, this means he requires no toilet paper; just a hand that can shake it off.

  2. Last time we checked, he had 20/20 vision. The school has BIG windows in each classroom. The mix creates a decent seeing ability. Use that.

  3. Are those boring PTA updates really necessary? If I cared what went on at those sleep-inducing social events, I would attend. If I'm not there, I don't wanna know. So, save a tree will ya - go green - and use the copy paper for the important stuff.

I really like the high school years. When they get to be that age, it's pretty simple: pencil, paper, a pen, and a folder or two.

And the best part: you can hand the kid a $10 bill and tell 'em to get there own.

I'm such a good mom! ;)


Kimmie

2 chatted about this topic:

Shana Putnam July 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

I think it is plum ridiculous what parents are asked to supply for school these days. Another reason I will be homeschooling.

Keely July 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

I'm really shocked that they don't just email that stuff now! Do we need eight thousand more pieces of paper that we won't read?

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP