I Don't Wanna Grow Up

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Somewhere around my thirtieth birthday I began to have an awakening.

And I'm not sure I'm completely okay with it.

Some of it's okay. Actually, many of things I've "grown up" about are things I really wish I'd learned a long time ago. Such as:

  • Learning not to judge others until you've walked a mile in their shoes; you never know what you would do if it were your issue/crisis/situation.

  • Realizing that it's not about what you have in your life but who.

  • Grasping that I will be leaving a world behind to my children and grandchildren and that I need to be a little "greener."

  • Learning that debt is a burden and it's time to unload it.

While I'm happy to have to have a firm grasp of those very important life lessons, unfortunately there are some not-so-good realizations. For example:

  • While my own home and community may be at peace, much of the rest of the world is not. All it takes is just a minute to change the security we all enjoy.

  • Understanding the financial state of America has left me fearful of the inflation of tomorrow.

  • Bad things can happen to you. It won't always be someone else.

  • You can't live in the moment; what you do today will affect you tomorrow.

  • While I always knew that someday I would die, I have come to really understand that any day could be your last; you don't have to be old to die.

Sometimes I find myself roaming around, paralyzed by fear, worry and frustration. I would give anything to return to my late teens/early 20's - a time when my head was in the sand.

In my mid to late 20's, I remember being frustrated with young people over their unrealistic views about life, debt, politics and death.

Now I envy them.

How did that happen?

Oh that's right...I grew up.

*sigh* Why me?

Kimmie

4 chatted about this topic:

Anonymous,  June 20, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

"Bad things can happen to you" that's the one that scared me the most in my thirties. They did and I survived. Now approaching 50, I have forced myself to stare them down or spend my days consumed with fear. Not!

Alicia June 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

Words of Wisdom! You have inspired me to write a similar post... (coming soon!)... It's healthy to reflect periodically throughout our lives, record them for our future posterity!

Laura June 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

I don't want to grow up either, but I think it's too late. I'm already grown.

Dropping by from MomDot Linky.

kasandria June 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

Wow your post really made me think. Just in the past few years I have really realized that things happen outside my comfort zone. Enjoyed reading your post. Found you on Momdot.
Kas

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP