Bailouts. Islands. Octomom. Teenagers. Random Thoughts.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009


I am thoroughly disgusted by the announcement that the government now owns 60 percent of GM following the company's Monday filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.

Instead of getting a car, however, the stockholders (a.k.a. taxpayers) are getting only the car payment - as another 20 Billion dollars in bailout funds is being tossed into the deal.

I'm not a doomsday kind of gal, but never have so much believed that America is headed for an economic crash like none before.

This free printing of nonexistent cash only creates inflation.

My husband has said for years now that he wants to buy an island and set up camp there. I've always laughed; but I'm more ready than ever to stop laughing and start searching with him.

And if the GM bankruptcy wasn't big enough news, many of the internet forums are abuzz with the news that Octomom Nadya Suleman has closed a deal with British Company Eyeworks to begin filming a television reality show based on her life of raising 14 children as a single, unemployed mother.

Leave it to the Brits to snag Octomom. I think American broadcasters knew the risk they could be taking by airing such a show.

On the other hand, though, with all the Jon and Kate drama - and most likely the end of that reality series - Octomom's show just might be hit.

It's like a train wreck. You know it's not going to be good. You know it's going to make you sick to your stomach. But you just can't stop yourself from looking.

One of the biggest complaints as relates to Octomom has been that she will be raising her children on public assistance. Now that she's getting her own reality show, that shouldn't be the case. So all those screaming and stomping their feet on that issue can breathe easier now.

I gotta be honest...I feel sorry for Nadya Suleman. She's apparently not all together. After all, who wants to have 8 sixteen-year-olds in the house at once.

I have one 17 year old and there are days that I'd like to put him out.

The other day my 17 year old son announced that he's considering moving out at 18 - three months before he graduates high school. Not because he doesn't like living here, he just wants freedom.

Okay, I understand that.

So I did the motherly thing and started asking questions.

How are you going to pay rent? He says, "I work." (Uh, yeah, that 10 hours per week job that pays minimum wage?)

Lights, water, electricity? He says, "Mom, I work." (Repeat same thought)

Enough asked. If (and that's a BIG if) he moves out, I give him less than 24 hours.

Oh, and to add the icing on the cake, he's planning on moving out with a friend; a friend who has never been employed and doesn't plan on being any time soon. (That should work out real well.)

Seriously tell me I wasn't that dumb niave at 17. I know I did some silly, immature things - made some bad choices - but I'm pretty sure I was not that clueless.

Sadly my child isn't alone in his naivete. But misery loves company, so in a way I'm happy about that part.

One more reason to move to an island. These ding-a-lings are going to be running this country when I'm an old lady.

And I'm afraid.

Very, very afraid.

Kimberly

4 chatted about this topic:

Unknown June 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

The part about your son is funny! I've always told my husband I want to leave far away from everyone. We would love to buy a house but we put that on hold till we see how things work out. Loved your post -- TFS

Keely June 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

Yep, I'm looking for a ranch with some mature fruit trees, instead of an island. Then I'm going to put up a 15' electrified fence.

You guys can visit though. Just show your bloggers pass to the security guard at the gate.

GreenJello June 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

I'm trying SO hard to instill common sense into my teens. So far, they've got a good idea how much things cost, but knowing in theory is far different than putting it to real practice.

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP