How Is Your Household Saving Money In This Economy? (Aloha Friday)

Friday, April 3, 2009

This week I decided to join in the Aloha Friday fun!

If you're new like me and wondering what Aloha Friday is, here is the information provided the meme's host, An Island Life:

"In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response. If you’d like to participate, just post your own question on your blog and leave your link below. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!"

Now for my question of the week:

    How Is Your Household Saving Money In This Economy?    


My Answer:
My family has been very blessed to not have been effected by this economy much despite that my husband works in a manufacturing facility that the majority of their business is automotive related. (I am a stay at home mom). However, realizing that at any time we could be greatly effected, we have been cutting costs as much as possible. One of our biggest cutbacks has been in the eating out department. We used to eat at least two meals out a week due to hectic schedules, but now we make an effort to cook each meal at home. We're also cutting our grocery budget to accompany our savings from the take out meals by using more coupons.

Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to read your answers (I will be sure to visit!) and put some your tips to use!

28 chatted about this topic:

Pami April 3, 2009 at 6:56 AM  

not well non excictence now life it =s tough right now

Angie April 3, 2009 at 7:50 AM  

Haven't really done much. My family is only a one income family and we're lower to middle class, but we haven't really been effected by the economy much.

Faith April 3, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

I haven't started doing anything special to save, just trying to find the best deals on the things I need to buy and couponing as much as I can.

Jaime April 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

we've also been eating out less...

Upstatemamma April 3, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

we eat out less, we look for free family activites and we have started reeling in our grocery budget

Jennifer April 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM  

I've had to cut back on a LOT! I've started shopping at the Goodwill and I've had to make sure all lights are turned OFF in my house. I unplug cell phone chargers when not in use, turn off my computer over night...things like that to save energy/money.

Amy April 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

We are trying to get a better deal on our house payments.

Have a great Friday.

Jennifer April 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

We cut back on everything.

*Just Jen* April 3, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

We haven't cut back at all. I should knock on wood while I type this....But I haven't been affected negatively by our economy yet. *knock knock*

Anonymous,  April 3, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

I am ordering my groceries online, Saafeway.com. Saves me gas, the hassle and mostly, saves me from throwing things, like ice cream into my basket!

sues2u2 April 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

The economy hasn't affected us too much either. Hubby has a great job & I'm a sahm. We do try to not turn on our heater though (usually only need it for a couple of months in the winter & occasional mornings) because propane is so expensive & it's a killer to get that $500 - $600 bill all @ once instead of spread out over time when we lived in the city.

The Social Frog April 3, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

It honestly has not effected us, we still do everything we used to & more, all the bills get paid. We have gone into more debt due to my dental problems rather than anything else in the past!
www.thesocialfrog.com

Pricousins April 3, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

Hi there! thanks for entering and blogging about my giveaway! I noticed you have the SiTS button so I wanted to say hi!

Anonymous,  April 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

We are doing pretty good so far....I honestly have done very little although I have great intentions of clipping coupons. I do try to buy stuff when it is on sale though!

Beth @ TheAngelForever April 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

We have been using a lot more coupons, planning out meals and like you barely eating out.

Sarah April 3, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

I lost my work-at-home job so we had to cut back a but. We don't eat out much, I make sure to get things on sale, and have learned the best resale shops in the area :) I love a good bargin! We also got rid of the big ticket extras on our satellite bill (Sports packages)

Kari @ A Giveaway Addicted Mommy April 3, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

We've stopped eating out (though since the tax return came in we have made a few trips) and I have been trying to get everyone to turn off lights and stuff more, changed the bulbs to the energy savers, using real plates instead of paper and eating less pricey meals.

Shannon April 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

We've been saving money by using coupons and getting rid of some things we just didn't use that much (like gym memberships). Not to mention my husband found a way to barter having his company pay to fix our cars (they're both at least 10 years old) instead of giving him a cash bonus.

Lori of I'm no super Mom April 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM  

We, too, have been blessed and not hit hard by this economy, as of yet. We are however putting much more in savings, just in case!

Carol April 3, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

We've not been terribly affected by the economy, with the exception of my 401k plan losing value. However, knowing that our retirement account is being affected, we're saving all of our pocket change. Well, we're not going to bury coffee cans in the yard, but, we are saving all of our coins!

Erin @ Closing Time April 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Potty training! If we can cut pull-ups off our list it will help!

A Psych Mommy April 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

Our jobs are uncertain since we work in education and cuts can be made at any time. Because of this, we've been scrimping and saving as much as possible. We hardly ever eat out, my parents have been generous to take care of our son instead of daycare for the rest of this school year, we make lists when we sho and use coupons, we cloth diaper and make our own baby food, and we have really stopped the impulse purchases

Pegsy April 3, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

Our family has not really been affected by the current economic situation. We live in Canada, so that could be part of it. My hubby has a great job and I am so grateful! I was raised saving money any way possible, so it's just ingrained in me to do things like turn off the lights constantly, don't let the water run while I wash dishes or brush my teeth, drink mostly water (and not buy expensive pops and juices and milk), buy no-name brands at the grocery store, etc.

Unknown April 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM  

Honestly I am still trying to figure that one out myself!

Alicia April 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

It has hit us hard...even with 2 incomes. We are living pretty much paycheck to paycheck. We have been eating way less, clipping coupons, and staying home alot. I hope it gets better soon...but I doubt it:)

PMKU April 4, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

This is tough. We have really started the meal planning and not eating out. Trying to walk more instead of driving. Focusing more on organizing our home then leaving the house to spend more money. lol

Kas April 4, 2009 at 4:47 AM  

Thanks for stopping by Chic Cherub..

We haven't been too affected by the economy. We've had to strap down some and neither of us are getting the over-time like we used to. But it'll all perk up soon! I hope!!

... April 5, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

thankfully, we haven't been hit hard like so many others have. but being smart about our money is something we've been working on for the past few months.

one, we aren't eating out as much. we've also put some larger purchases/projects on hold until we've saved some money and hopefully the economy has picked up.

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP