How To Create Bouncy Curls with a Hair Straightener

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Not only was I blessed with a daughter after having three boys, but I was blessed with a daughter who has so much hair that I'm pretty sure some people thought I had a baby wig on her.

And fortunately she enjoys letting Mom play with it. Ponytails, braids, dog ears, curling, straightening - we've done it all!

One day I was talking with my cousin, a beautician, and she gave me a VERY helpful tip on hair styling.

You know those big bouncy curls you see celebrities wearing - like the adorable Taylor Swift (right photo)?

Did you know you can create those with a flat iron straightener?  I didn't!

And it's actually very simple, here's how:

  1. Heat up the straightener.  (Need one?  Check ghd for comparison pricing on some great models)
  2. If you prefer smaller, tighter curls, gather a small strand in fingers; for larger, looser curls, gather bigger strands.
  3. Press strand between plates and run down length of strand, leaving about an inch at end.
  4. Wrap end piece around iron.  Close plates (clamp) and roll upwards to roots.
  5. Hold for approximately 30 seconds.
  6. While opening plates, pull iron gently downwards allowing hair to slide from grip.
  7. Repeat with each strand.
Didn't turn out perfect on the first try?  No problem, just allow hair to cool down for a few seconds and try again.  (And here's another handy tip for those with hair that hates to hold curl:  before starting, run a small amount of style gel through hair.)

It's so simple!  And although I can't explain it, the curls are much more durable and prettier than curls created with a curling iron.

We've had a lot of fun using this easy trick.  It's great for adding a little body to straight hair or, as is the case with my daughter's hair, giving "umph" to naturally wavy hair.

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!

1 chatted about this topic:

Unknown December 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM  

you give me hope! I also have three boys..my uterus is thin and i am not spose to have anymore but i will eventually try one more time with the hopes that it will be a girl this time! Please check out my blog http://mizzreviewlady-mommyreviews.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP