Nostalgia: The Warren County, Tennessee A & L Fair

Monday, August 24, 2009


Although they may not be so obvious, there are hundreds of faces here.

The Warren County A & L Fair in McMinnville, Tennessee makes its appearance only once a year; arriving in wee morning hours on the Sunday before the second Monday of the month of September.

As a child, I waited in anticipation as August came to an end and Labor day came to officially whisk summer away - even if it didn't immediately take the humid Southern summers.

The week of the fair was - still is - like our town's own personal holiday.

It is a week where old friends reconnect, old flames are revived (sometimes much to the despair of spouses and significant others), babies are put on display in the name of pageantry, a beauty queen is crowned; and the smell of grilled hamburgers, homemade apple pie, and cotton candy lures the most antisocial of society.

While the thrill of the county fair may have lost its flair for me over the years, I now see the anticipation in my own children's eyes.

A look that keeps me returning year after year after year...

3 chatted about this topic:

Carmen August 24, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

this makes me feel nostagic, I love the fair...great picture...

Anonymous,  August 24, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

Great take on nostalgia...

But you've got me wanting fair food now. :D

Jessica August 25, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

Wow! how did you get that picture? I see that you weren't on the ferris wheel! Great shot!

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP