Did You Know Your Child's Personality Before Birth (Aloha Friday)

Friday, May 15, 2009

Aloha FridayAn Island Life has put together a wonderful meme called Aloha Friday. If you'd like to learn more and/or join in, be sure to visit An Island Life!

My Topic for This Week: I have long said that if I had paid close attention, I could known each of my children's personalities even before they were born.

My oldest child made for a difficult pregnancy. I was constantly at the hospital in preterm labor despite taking terbutaline every four hours; and, in the end, he was 3 weeks early. Now, at 17 years old, he is always in a rush to do everything - and has been all his life. Doesn't matter if it's done right nor not, just get it done.

My 13 year old attempted only once to arrive early, despite numerous warnings from my doctor that chances of preterm labor were greater the second time. And during that one attempt, they gave me the massive, injected dose of terbutaline and the preterm labor stopped never to restart; an induction was required in the end. Now, his life is lived by the motto "I'll do it when I'm good and ready; but if you delay me or tell me to do it differently, it will never be done."

Baby boy number three was a bit tricky. He arrived 9 weeks early but quickly took to breathing on his own and hurdling those preemie milestones; coming home in just 21 days. And this is where it gets tricky - he refused to crawl until he was 1 year old and didn't walk until 18 months. At first we thought this was where we were seeing some delays; but the day after his pediatrician said he was sending a physical therapist to our home, he took his first steps. Within days he was running. So I learned that he chooses when he wants to do it - be it early or late - and will not be convinced to do it before. (Btw, the physical therapist came but cancelled within minutes when she saw that he could walk - and walk very well at that.)

By the time Princess A came along, I'd started figuring this whole personality-developing-in-the-womb bit. I noticed rather qucikly that every time I ate, she became very still. I dubbed her a feed-and-sleep baby. And she is even at 4 months!

My Question:

Does your child[ren]'s personality match your pregnancy?

11 chatted about this topic:

Rob May 15, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

LOL. Not sure since I didn't carry any of my children.

Kimmie May 15, 2009 at 7:02 AM  

ROFL!!! I did not realize how "limited" this was until you answered!

Good comeback though! lol

annies home May 15, 2009 at 7:25 AM  

Yes I believe they were I had 6 pregnancies and most of them seem to react to that now

I am Harriet May 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

It's been so long...I can't remember. Thank goodness :)

AudreyO May 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

I'm going to say no. My pregnancies were very similiar and my kids are like night and day.

Anonymous,  May 15, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

Yes! Gavyn who is very stubborn couldn't wait til his due date. And Zoe who is more stubborn came 4 weeks early. She gave me a lot of trouble but his wonderful:)

sues2u2 May 15, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

My son was very calm in the womb & up until puberty hit he was pretty similar.

My daughter though was always moving & that's what she was like @ birth (9 days early & 2 days before scheduled c-section) & has continued in the same vein. So yes, I do think it's possible! lol

Unknown May 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

I don't really know! They where all early -- Never made it to my scheduled c-section for any of them. Maybe that is why they are impatient now.LOL

Now my last one was a little wiggler, never stayed still and to this day he is still like that.

PMKU May 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

OH yes! My little girls were big time kickers and movers and they are always busy.

LZ May 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Absolutely! My oldest is a little hot headed like me. My youngest is really chill, but we'll see!

Post a Comment

I ♥ Comments!

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP